This is a variation on Lune's doily dreamcatcher...see her original post here. I absolutely love how this one turned out. Here are the steps and supplies I used to make mine.
Supplies: hoop (I got mine at the craft store), string (of some sort - I used hemp), doily (thrifted or found at a craft store), and embellishments (feathers, beads, charms, ect.).
1. Using a small piece of string, attach one point of the doily to the hoop. I secured it with a double knot.
2. To make sure that the doily stays even and taught, tie one end and then tie the opposite end (do this all the way around). For the points that were below the halfway point, I used long strands of hemp that I could embellish later. For the top half I used short pieces and trimmed them.
3. This is what it will look like as you go...
4. When you're done tying the doily to the hoop, add embellishments. To secure my feathers to the string, I first strung a bead...
5. ...then, I stuck the end of a feather inside the bead. This helps keep the bead in place without it sliding around.
6. Pull the feather through the bead enough so that it is secured.
7. Keep adding beads and feathers until you are satisfied with the result.