Over the past couple of years I've taken a few road trips (and lived on the road in my van!), but it wasn't until my last trip that I finally figured out how exactly to pack my personal hygiene items. I found this plastic box thrifting, and I immediately knew I had solved my problems. (Now, I am trying pretty hard to not buy plastic things brand new (and in general), but I figured buying this used box wouldn't be so bad, considering I'm planning on using it pretty much for the rest of my life.) It is PERFECT for van life (and road trips in general) because it's easy to put my hands on, it holds everything I need all together, and if something breaks or spills it's contained inside the box and will be easy to clean up.
On the road, similar to my life at home, I like to attempt to be as green as possible. Pretty much all of my toiletries and such are all natural, and they're almost all homemade. Here's a list of my must-haves on the road. What are yours?
1. COSMETIC BAG // Used for small things such as lip balm, nail clippers, and any makeup.
2. OVERNIGHT FACIAL OIL (homemade) // A non-greasy moisturizing oil used before bed.
3. ALL NATURAL TOOTHPASTE
4. ROSE WATER // A mild toner, I use this before applying facial oil at night, and to refresh my face throughout the day if needed.
5. ROSE FRESHENER (all natural and homemade) // Can be used to mildly cleanse and deodorize "down there" (only topically, ladies) if showers are few and far between.
6. TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL // Antibacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic (among many other things), and can be applied directly to the skin without diluting.
7. SMALL TIN BOXES // I reuse my old Altoids tins to store items such as bobby pins, floss, lip balm, band-aids, and hair elastics.
8. HAND SANITIZER (all natural and homemade) // Can also be used as a spray-on deodorant.
9. TOOTHBRUSH // This company, Preserve, makes their toothbrushes from recycled yogurt cups (razors with replaceable blades, too!)!
10. PERFUME OIL // I use Jasmine essential oil (blended with jojoba oil) as a perfume on my skin and in my hair.
11. LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL // The most versatile of essential oils, this can be used to remedy practically anything (not including vehicle trouble, unfortunately, haha). It can also be used directly on the skin without diluting.